THE MYSTICAL PRINCIPLES OF JOEL S. GOLDSMITH
A Study Guide of the 1959 Maui Advanced Work Tapes
Designed with love and gratitude. Provided as a gift from the students of
Joel S. Goldsmith
Produced by Will Hoff, Eileen Hoff and Jasha Salter with meditation and the utmost attention to keep the words of Joel unedited and accurate.
This outline of Joel's teaching tapes was inspired by my teachers, Will and Aileen Hoff of Yucca Valley, California. I began work on this in the late 1980s as a gift to Joel S. Goldsmith, our master teacher. In the past years, different human elements began to interfere with the development of this book. It was not available to the students.
After much meditation and waiting, I was finally given the go-ahead from Within to make this available. It is a joy and honor to present this work to you for your use. Students of Joel have made this work possible through their financial support. All costs are covered by gifts and no serious seeker will be denied these materials.
The words are Joel's, but the format came through this student. There is no way that this writer can take any credit for this work. The credit belongs to the Spirit behind the words and patterns. It was a deep honor to be able to work on this project. To have the fruitage of that labor be of service to another on this Path, is a joy beyond description.
Humanly, this writer has placed her name on this work simply to ensure that those whom she serves are able to access this material in the spirit in which it was produced. This work is meant to be read, written on, digested and lived with until the principles become a part of the student. Once they have been implanted in consciousness, in the depths of one's being, through meditation one would be able to draw forth fresh manna each and every day.
The secret mystical teachings have been carried from age to age Within the blessed. We must never worry that the Spirit will abandon us. It is within each and everyone. We simply need to find our way to "let the imprisoned splendor escape."
Healing Work Outline
Table of Contents
Treatment and Specific Truth
(1959 Maui Advanced Work Tape 5 Side 1)
Students studying this message should be lights in their communities and show forth, by fruitage of their own lives, what others may look forward to if they seek in this direction. We must be prepared for what lies ahead.
The following is the work necessary to establish The Infinite Way activities. This work is not of a material nature; it does not call for the use of our bodies or our pocketbook. It is purely a mental and spiritual activity. You can sit in silent meditation and it will bear fruitage.
I. Preparatory work for class instruction or tape groups, prayer or treatment work:
A. "Those who enter this class or meeting are not merely entering a room, but they are entering The Infinite Way consciousness of truth."
B. Invite into the spiritual household the guest of God (those who are ready for entrance into the spiritual realm). Everyone in this meeting is a guest of God.
C. "Divine consciousness, which is individual consciousness (your consciousness and mine), embraces and enfolds everyone who enters this room. God's Grace permeates their being and touches their mind, soul and body. "
1. Realize that all those who come to the class or meeting are coming not into a room, nor to hear a man.
They are entering the Temple of God (which is your consciousness).
2. Your consciousness, which is imbued with the truth, is the "Temple of God."
"They enter here to receive healing, freedom, joy, harmony and the Grace of God."
3. For each class or meeting you attend, always remember to prepare yourself for it during the day of that meeting.
D. Our spiritual household (our consciousness, our mind), when imbued with truth, is a law of harmony, healing, health, happiness, peace and prosperity.
1. Those who enter the presence of an individual who lives with the Word of God, enter a consciousness that is a benediction.
2. Therefore, if we have prepared ourselves, then everyone who enters this meeting receives light, blessing, forgiveness, benediction, courage, freedom, joy and the peace that passeth understanding.
E. "Every word of truth which constitutes my consciousness is bread and wine and water and meat and life and resurrection unto all who enter my consciousness."
F. You are not an isolated person separate and apart from every person in this room.
1. I am in you.
2. And you are in me.
3. And we are one in God, partaking of the divine name or nature.
G. The truth embodied in your consciousness is the healing art, the forgiving authority, the redeeming power.
1. Without this truth in your consciousness, you are nothing.
2. Never leave home in the morning without sending the Word before us to "make the crooked places straight."
Without realizing that wherever I am, the Word of God is, for it constitutes my newborn consciousness.
3. My consciousness, therefore, is a benediction and a blessing.
It is a healer, it is bread, wine, meat, water and supply unto all who touch my consciousness, be they friend or foe.
H. Never leave your home for the day's activity without consciously knowing you have died to your human sense.
1. That you have been reborn through the Word of God.
2. As you go out in the world now, you carry God's Grace everywhere you go, and everyone who enters your consciousness during the day must feel the Power of God which is stored up there.
3. First must come conscious realization and declaration of truth.
a. When we have completed this, then we wait in the receptive atmosphere.
b. "Speak Lord, thy servant heareth."
c. And wait in that receptive atmosphere until we feel the Seal of God upon it, the release.
II. Two of the most neglected parts of the teachings of Jesus Christ are praying for your enemies and forgiving unto seventy times seven.
A. Consciously release and forgive.
B. Pray that God open the minds and the souls and the consciousness of those whom we call enemies.
1. All of this must be included in your treatment work.
2. It cannot be neglected.
3. For only what you put into your treatment comes out as demonstration.
III. Know why you expect your treatment to be effective.
A. It is not because of you or me.
B. It is because of the Word of God entertained in our consciousness.
C. When you know the truth, the truth makes you free.
1. But you must know the truth.
2. And know it fully and completely.
IV. You must know the principles that constitute this message and put them into active expression.
A. They have no power in a book.
B. They are only a power when taken into consciousness and expressed.
1. That is the reason there is so little answer to prayer.
2. It all remains in a book or as lip service rather than being taken actively into consciousness and expression.
V. Every treatment that you give has to embody the specific truth in some words or other.
A. "What did hinder you?"
B. That which is binding you is not power.
1. You are not bound by it.
2. You are bound by your acceptance of it as a power.
a. It is not power.
b. So rise, get up and walk.
3. Whatever the name or nature of this limiting sin or disease or lack, it is not power (a good power or an evil power).
C. Every treatment must embody the truth that God is Power,
1. But not this thing, whatever name you call it, (whether paralysis or Pilate).
2. If it is a temporal power, it is not spiritual law.
3. Therefore, it is not power.
D. Whether you are giving treatment to forms of sin, or disease, or lack, or unemployment, or unhappiness:
1. Your treatment must include that statement: "This, that you hold binding you is not power."
2. Every treatment must include the realization that we are not invoking a God power to destroy a sin or disease power.
3. The truth we are declaring is: "What did hinder you?"
4. Nothing is power but God.
VI. Whatever is entertained in your consciousness is known to your neighbors.
A. Intuitively they can feel whether your consciousness is a blessing or a curse.
1. It is our responsibility to be a positive influence for good to our neighbors.
2. We are only a positive influence for good in proportion as our consciousness is active in truth ... filled with truth ... and that we are consciously uttering it silently, sacredly, secretly.
B. When you pray, enter into your sanctuary and pray in secret.
1. Do not be interested in getting personal credit.
2. Let God have the glory,
a. But be a good steward of the Word of God, (not one that just hordes it up in the mind and lets it rest there).
b. Put it out into use.
VII. If you successfully show forth the fruitage of this morning work and this meeting work:
A. You will then be prepared for the next step which will be undertaking treatment work for specific healings,
1. For those among you who require it.
2. And those from outside who ask for it.
B. Anyone can be a healer who wishes to devote their consciousness to truth.
1. Who wishes to die daily to their idle human thinking, wishful thinking, time-wasting thinking, and fill their consciousness with truth?
2. Then too, remember now, truth constitutes my consciousness.
a. The specific truth that there is only one power.
b. The specific truth that none of this that is hindering you has the power to hinder you.
c. The specific truth that your consciousness filled with the Word of God is a law of annihilation to everything unlike good, that your consciousness filled with truth is a law of benediction and grace unto everyone who enters your spiritual household, your consciousness.
d. Do you not see the need for specific truth (specific principles of truth) consciously expressed?
VIII. This does not change the fact that, when you have completed your statements of truth (your realizations of truth, your utterance of truth), now you enter the second phase.
A. "Speak Lord, Thy servant heareth. I am listening for Thy Voice. Put the seal on this treatment. Let me know that I have reached the Throne of God."
1. Then wait for two or three minutes.
2. And then you accept the fact that this truth in my consciousness is a law, and is the law unto every situation.
3. Then go about your business.
4. You have done your work and the fruitage is taking place.
5. Learn not to judge from appearances.
B. It is the same mind that was in Christ Jesus that you are building in you through the embodying of truth in your consciousness.
1. "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free, and all those who come to you."
2. The benefit that anyone gets from coming to us is the degree of specific principles of truth which we know:
a. Which are embodied in our consciousness;
b. Which we utter and declare.
c. No one will have any healing works greater than your understanding of specific healing truths.
d. You must consciously know the truth and the truth will make you free.
IX. The truth entertained in one consciousness is so powerful.
A. One with God is a majority.
1. Think when two or more are gathered together in this truth, what happens.
2. You have no idea where the borders of your consciousness may be.
3. Your consciousness is as infinite as God:
a. Because God constitutes your consciousness;
b. And God is Infinite.
4. Therefore, your consciousness is infinite, and all those who are embraced in your consciousness are embraced into the law of God.
B. Know this and consciously remember it:
1. God constitutes my consciousness.
2. My consciousness is made up of truth, the Word of God and scripture.
3. And this Word of God is quick, sharp and powerful,
a. A law of good unto all who come within range of my consciousness, by virtue of the fact that, "I and the Father are one."
b. And through the word of truth, God's Grace reaches and touches all those who come near me.
X. If you are not giving yourself this treatment about the nature of your consciousness,
A. Your consciousness is limited to being that of a human being, sometimes good, sometimes bad.
B. You invoke the power of truth by your conscious awareness, and remembrance and declaration.
C. "The Word of God in the midst of me is power,"
1. But you must know the Word of God;
2. And utter it and declare it, silently, secretly, sacredly.
D. Always remember that you can be of no greater help to anyone than the truth in your consciousness,
1. Therefore, the first treatment is given to yourself.
2. You retire at night realizing:
a. "I am not going to bed or to sleep as a human being."
b. "I am resting in the divine consciousness of truth."
c. "I am going to my rest consciously aware of the Word of God, alive and alert in me, whether asleep or awake."
d. That is a conscious activity of truth in your consciousness, but it changes the nature of your night's rest.
3. So it is that these truths, consciously expressed before you leave home in the morning, change the nature of your day.
4. "If you abide in My Word and let My Word abide in you, you will bear fruit richly."
XI. God gave you dominion through the Word of God:
A. But you must accept it.
1. You must accept it and express it.
2. You cannot let your mind be a vacuum.
3. You cannot let it be acted upon.
B. You were given dominion through the Word of God,
1. Not through personal powers.
2. This is a universal gift.
3. And if you abide in the Word of Truth,
a. If you abide in these scriptural passages of truth,
b. And if you let them abide in your consciousness,
c. You will bear fruit richly.
d. And you will be a blessing and a benediction.
C. As Moses was able to lead those who followed him in a new dimension of consciousness;
1. So do we lead those who come to us out of sin, out of disease, out of lack, out of limitation, out of unhappiness,
2. Into spiritual grace and harmony, love and peace.
XII. This is not a lazy man's work.
A. This is not an easy way of life.
B. We know that God has given to us His Word,
C. And from the days of the Hebrews we have been told to:
1. "Put it on your forehead, or in your mind. Wear it on your arm, or in consciousness where it becomes power, and at the entrance of your soul, or consciousness. Keep the Word of God in your mind, in your soul, in your heart, and at the entrance of your consciousness."
2. "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee."
D. "If you abide in the Word and let the Word abide in you," consciously, you will be those who bestow Satori.
E. You will be those who give the benediction, the blessing, not of yourself, but by the Grace of God, the truth which you embody in your consciousness and which you never forget.
The Spiritual or Mystical Life
The Spiritual or Mystical Life
(From 1959 Maui Advanced Work Tape 5 Side 2)
"Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it."
This is God's day, and God has gone before me every step of my way. Omnipresence guarantees that I will not be outside of the Realm of God. I will keep my mind stayed on God. I will acquaint myself with Him, and I will acknowledge Him in all my ways.
Without God, there is no food. God is the very life of all that is. God is that which has given us our daily bread. God is that which has provided infinite abundance. Everything testifies to the Presence of God supplying us and blessing us.
God's Grace is with me. The place whereon I stand is holy ground, whether that place is heaven or hell, or the valley of the shadow of death. Why? Because where I am, God is. Omnipresence assures us that I cannot walk outside the Kingdom of God as long as I abide in the Word of God, and let the Word of God abide in me.
"He performeth that which is given me to do." He that is within me is greater than any problem that I can be faced with. I am not alone. There is no place where I can be that God is not present where I am, as long as I am where God is, in the Word of God, and that Word in me. As long as I consciously abide in Him, and He abides in me, how can I step outside of God's Grace?
Whether or not we recite our thanks openly at the table in the form of grace as it is often said, or whether we do it silently, secretly, sacredly within us is a matter of our own choice.
"Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it."
"I am receptive and responsive to the divine impulse, even when I am asleep. I am never so deeply asleep that I cannot be quickly wakened by the Spirit if It has a message for me...a direction...a protection."
Paradise is the state of being which you are when you have learned to live in God's Grace, through God's Grace to abide in the Word, and let the Word abide in you.
"Pray for your enemies that ye may be the Sons of God."
"Neither do I condemn thee, go and sin no more."
The Reason For Treatment and Its Use
(From 1959 Maui Advanced Work Tape 6 Side 1)
"If you abide in the Word, and let the Word abide in you, you will bear fruit richly. If you do not abide in the Word and let the Word abide in you, you will be as the branch of the Tree that is cut off and withereth."
There is really no such thing as a coconut.
"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
By shutting it out of my mind.
"Why, of yourself you are nothing. You cannot be sick or well."
Bread for the Body: Hyacinths for the Soul
(From 1959 Maui Advanced Work Tape 6 Side 2)
If these tapes are properly studied, they can prove to be the most important work you have ever undertaken in the message of The Infinite Way. It will depend upon what you put into it though, as you will not get more out of these tapes than you put in. The tapes are words, but the words only take importance as they become interpreted in your consciousness.
The meaning I put into them is a direct result of 30 years of this work, but how much you get out of them will depend on how much you put into them. These tapes are especially important because they deal with the subject of treatment:
They cannot of themselves do anything to us, except by our consent, or common consent.
"This is what it means. 'I' am with you."
A son of God.
Heir of God.
Joint-heir with Christ.
You are not a mortal.
"If you abide in the Word and let the Word abide in you."
1. Now you have the feeling of being something, being somebody, not of yourself, but because of the Grace of God.
2. That is treatment.
3. By using those passages of scripture you have treated yourself out of material human consciousness into spiritual, divine sonship consciousness.
4. You have done it by consciously knowing the truth, and it releases you into your spiritual nature
"If you abide in the Word, and let the Word abide in you, you will bear fruit richly. If you do not abide in the Word and let the Word abide in you, you will be as the branch of the Tree that is cut off and withereth."
There is really no such thing as a coconut.
a. It would not be doing that if it were not attached to the tree, though.
b. It never would get to be a complete coconut.
c. In its attachment to the tree though, the Life of the tree, the Invisible Life of the tree flowing through the tree, flows out of the tree and becomes a coconut.
d. It becomes the hard shell, it becomes the soft meat and it becomes the liquid milk.
By your contact with the Mind of God.
a. By consciously knowing the truth,
b. And the truth is:
The perfect Mind of God is my Mind.
The Life of God is my life.
1. Because "I" am eternal, "I" shall live out my span on this plane of life fulfilling myself.
2. And then when that is past, "I" shall drop this experience and advance on to a higher one.
3. It is not given in the nature of things for anything to remain static.
4. Anything that stands still must die, but we do not stand still.
5. The Consciousness of God fills us and the Life of God fills us.
a. The Divine Mind [Consciousness] of God is my mind, but do I have a monopoly on that? Am I some favored pet? No.
b. This must be a universal truth.
a. Divine Intelligence governs every being.
b. This is praying for your friends and for your enemies.
c. God is the Intelligence of every man and every machine (even machinery is subject unto the activity of the one Infinite Intelligence).
a. You do that every single time you step into your car, until the day comes when you step into your car and you start to do it, and a smile comes to your face and you say: "That I know."
b. You do not have to go through the treatment anymore because now the treatment is giving itself to you.
c. It is reminding you that you need not fear.
"I have gone before you to make the crooked places straight," and
"I have gone before you to prepare these mansions of safety and security and peace and joy and harmony unto you."
When you live in that constant consciousness of truth, you are in a constant state of treatment.
1. You cannot sit back waiting for a mysterious God, because a mysterious God will not do it.
2. Somebody, somewhere, must say... "Take possession of your own mind and of your own body, and bring the light of God and the glory of God to you."
a. This is a higher civilization than has ever before been known.
b. There are more educated people in this world today than have ever been known in the history of the world;
c. And they get free education wherever they want it.
d. We also have more art galleries to go to and more museums to go to...and all are provided for us to enjoy.
e. That is high civilization.
Not thinking it must be solved in a week, let it take a month or a year, but in the meantime, staying peaceful.
The Father Within Me
The Realm of God or
The Kingdom of God
It is only when culture, when love for mankind enters the heart and the soul, that you are above an animal, and you can say, "I am a Son of God." You must have love for that. You must have brotherhood for that. You must have a philosophy for that; and you must have a religion for that.
Treatment and Meditation
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Open Class Tape 3 Side 1)
And when we do not seem to have it, it is because we have not assumed dominion.
"I say unto thee, peace be still." (I am addressing my mind.) "I say unto thee, peace be still."
"I say unto thee, peace be still. Fear not, fear not, God, in the midst of thee, is mighty. Fear not, not all the armies of the aliens. For God, in the midst of thee, is mighty. God's Peace give I unto thee. God's Grace give I unto thee...Peace...In quietness and in confidence shalt thou meditate. In stillness and in joy shalt thou receive God's Grace. Peace be unto thee... Peace...My peace give I unto thee...You need not battle. You need take no thought for what you shall eat, for what you shall drink, or wherewithal you shall be clothed. God's Grace clothes thee. God's Grace feeds thee. Be still...Be still...and receive God's communion...Be still and hear the still small voice."
"You need not battle. You need not take thought. Be at peace...Be still...Nothing shall enter the mind that defileth or maketh a lie. No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper. For where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty, there is peace, harmony, quietness, calmness, assurance. In God's presence is fullness of joy, fullness of life...abundance of good. Here where I am thou art. I need not fear what mortal man can do to me. No weapon that is formed against me shall prosper. They have only the arm of flesh. We have the Lord God Almighty."
" I, Joel, born of God, created in His image and likeness, governed, maintained and sustained by God, and by the Grace of God, I have a mind and I have a body. And these are the instruments given to me for specific purposes on earth."
They are beginning now to accept these things that have been discovered and taught for the past 75 years in the metaphysical world, and which have always been known in the mystical world.
They cannot bring spiritual harmony into this world through their petitions, or their praises, or adorations, or anything else that is expressed in words or thoughts.
These are but the aids given to us to lift us into that atmosphere where words and thoughts are no longer necessary, but leave us in an inner communion through which God's grace reaches us.
You will only rise into the true atmosphere of prayer and God consciousness by a thorough understanding and practice of the subject of treatment.
Treatment means knowing the truth, consciously knowing the truth... Applying principles of truth in your mind.
For until you do that, you cannot give or receive a treatment correctly.
"It is thy faith that has made thee whole."
Not mentally declared, but spiritually realized... inwardly felt.
"If so be the Spirit of God dwell in you, then you are the Sons of God."
If you have come to a place in consciousness where you can seriously, honestly, pray that your enemies be forgiven, that they be released from punishment for their sins, that the Spirit of God enter their soul and mind and being...then you are no longer a mortal.
(Although, of course, you cannot forget that it was a physical problem, that stays in your consciousness. It would be all right if you could forget it, but you cannot.)
"What did hinder you, pick up your bed and walk."
"Neither do I condemn thee,"
"Lazarus come forth, thou art not dead, thou sleepest."
The Kingdom of Heaven is a state of Grace.
"It's your turn, Father. Speak Lord, thy servant heareth."
"Speak Lord, thy servant heareth."
God is not God.
There is no such thing as a destructive, harmful, injurious, negative power.
The Practice of Truth in Treatment And Prayer
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Open Class Tape 3 Side 2)
"Put up the sword."
"Forgive seventy times seven."
"Pray for thy enemy."
It was too contrary to everything the Hebrews had been taught for several thousand years.
Put up thy sword.
Resist not evil.
Return good for evil.
"Thou shalt have no other God but me."
"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind."
"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."
It becomes impossible to be controlled by anyone, or any circumstance, when it becomes known that the only power is that which we call God.
A God that cannot be reached by a human being, regardless of what manner, what way, or what form one may try to reach that God to influence, to sway, or to move.
RELAX INTO THAT AWARENESS OF THE GOD UNIVERSE OF BEING.
THEN LET THIS UNIVERSE REVEAL ITSELF IN FULL ONENESS, AS YOUR OWN PERFECT, INFINITE, INVISIBLE BODY AND BEING.
Therefore, when we suffer, we are suffering only from these mental images that have been thrown at us, and which we have, in our ignorance, accepted.
There is only one Power.
There is only one Law.
There is only one Life.
There is only one Substance.
There is only one Cause.
And then rest in that word.
In our ability to accept or reject.
The Nature of God
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Open Class Tape 4 Side 1)
The Infinite Way classes, books and tapes have encircled the world without any organization, movement, financing, promotion or advertising. It is traveling the world on its own merit and there is a reason for this. The reason lies in the principle which governs our healing.
What is God?
What is the nature of God?
How do you approach God?
How do you receive answers to prayer?
Even that will mean nothing to you except in proportion as you "Go and do likewise."
The same yesterday, today and forever.
"Well, one thing I know, I'm not trying to influence God. I'm not going to God to get anything. I'm not here to tell God what I 'd like Him to do. Not my will, but Thine be done. Here I am and here Thou art. The very place whereon I stand is holy ground. Here and now Thou knowest my need, and it is Thy good pleasure to give me the kingdom. Thy grace is my sufficiency in all things, and I'm willing to rest in Thy Grace."
It is all something that rises in our own thought.
Nature of Error
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Open Class Tape 4 Side 2)
They can reveal to you all of the secrets of spiritual living because they all agree.
And there is no difference of opinion on that score anywhere at all on the face of the globe.
"Father reveal Thyself to me....Father, reveal Thy Grace...Thy Grace is my sufficiency."
But if you put up your mental sword and try to overcome it (the minute you try to think of truth to meet it with), you are lost.
The cause is causeless;
An impersonal source of no power.
"Love thy neighbor as thyself."
It is a mortal sin to say of another, "you are sick," or "you are sinful," or "you are poor."
It is a direct malpractice to see in another anything other than the qualities of God.
It has its seat not in them, but in this impersonal source.
You will not succeed.
What truth do you know?
How true is that truth?
How steadfast are you in its application?
"The Lord is my shepherd and therefore I shall not want."
"Father forgive them, they know not what they do."
The power of good and the power of evil.
Any other appearance really belongs back in that impersonal source which we are continuously nothingizing.
The Mysticism and Metaphysics of The Infinite Way I
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Closed Class Tape 1 Side 1)
"In my life, I was brought to the search for God with no other object or motive than learning for myself the whys and the wherefores. Many years later, when the first religious experience took place in my life, it brought with it the healing gift and the healings began immediately. For a while it seemed there was no other purpose in my life, and no other motive than just being a healer. These religious experiences continued though, and one followed another. Each brought new revelations, new unfoldments and new discoveries. At the same time, it brought to my awareness books on mysticism, books which I'd never heard of up until then, which revealed the great mysteries that had been discovered by the mystics of all nations, all races. As time passed, there came into my experience in 1940, a message delivered within to the effect that I must learn of the impersonal Christ and of the impersonal healing."
"My Consciousness is your consciousness, and My Consciousness is doing the work as you. Never seek a student, but never refuse a student who is sent to you, for they are being sent to you."
"I have overcome the world."
"My Kingdom is not of this world."
"If so be the Spirit of God dwell in you, then do you become the sons of God."
They had no spiritual vision to know what it was that they had seen.
The rising out of the tomb of this body and then the ascension.
And that is the mysticism of the message.
It is an acknowledgment of it; an acknowledgment of it as a something.
"At the time of that experience called, 'Eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.' The sense of separation took place in which life was now lived in the mind of man, instead of in God's Universe."
Everyone who has an idea of what God is, is only entertaining a man-made God...a man-made concept of God.
Since we know not only the attainment of mysticism, but since we know the principles upon which these demonstrations were made (and are now being made), will our students learn them and be willing to practice them so that this time they may remain on earth and continue to unfold until that day comes when the entire universe will be lighted with the One Infinite Consciousness?
The Mysticism and Metaphysics of The Infinite Way II
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Closed Class Tape 1 Side 2)
"It has been published many times that only 5% to 6% of the newspaper-reading public, read the editorial page, on which the real news of the world is published. You can read the murders, and divorces on the front page. You can read the advertising on all the other pages, but you can only read the news, as it affects your life, on the editorial page. This lack of interest is what we call mental inertia."
But that is not saving the world from sin, disease, death, lack, limitation and wars.
"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
Being omnipotent, God is the only power there is.
That power is the power of the spirit.
"Judge not after appearances. Judge righteous judgment."
The principle itself will do nothing for you any more than the principle of electricity will do anything for anyone except the person who hooks it up.
"There is no other power but God - God is."
Three Principles and Their Practice
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Closed Class Tape 2 Side 1)
"We are dealing now with the specific principles of The Infinite Way which we are to apply in meeting the problems of our everyday living. The principles which constitute the healing principles of The Infinite Way. I recognize, and you must recognize, that there is going to be some difficulty about this because most of you have other metaphysical backgrounds. And the major principles of The Infinite Way are not only not the principles of your previous studies, but some of them may appear to you to be very contradictory. Many students do have difficulties because they try to mix the principles of their former teaching with the principles of The Infinite Way, and they make no headway."
The first principle we have to learn as students, probably the most important principle of the message of The Infinite Way, is The Nature of God.
Afraid of falling down...
Afraid of automobiles...
Afraid of meeting strangers...
This is the truth about you and your life, your soul, and your being.
They are but the instruments through which this carnal mind is functioning.
In the same way, we know there have been fires in large buildings, and more people killed for other reasons than the flames. (The flames probably took few lives, but panic, fear, and the lust for life took the rest.)
And, if the latter, you become a blotting paper for the belief of good and evil that permeates the world.
It is God that is searching for us, and we have to learn to let God catch up.
(The following passage is from another tape, recommended for students by Will Hoff.)
Not my will be done, but thine.
Prepare me to fulfill thy will.
It is fit that we be the servants of God.
We must yield our will to God.
Submit to God's Will.
In order to achieve this realization, the following steps are recommended:
Three Principles and Their Practice II
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Closed Class Tape 2 Side 2)
"Please remember that it is only during the first years that it would seem living The Infinite Way is a bit burdensome and difficult. Be willing for the sake of the fruitage, to experience some of the labor that goes with this work in the beginning."
That is protective work.
Since there is only one power there are no other powers to do anything or to be anything, and any suggestion of such is this mesmeric influence "mortal mind," or arm of flesh or nothingness.
And they are the principles which we know will be the freedom for every individual on the face of the globe as the world awakens to these principles.
Fear of person, Fear of thing, Fear of condition.
This humanly mesmeric influence.
The harmonious being which you naturally are.
Living the Principles of Mysticism and Healing by Knowing the Truth
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Closed Class Tape 3 Side 1)
"Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors."
The Word made Flesh.
It is an experience that has to take place consciously in your consciousness.
"God, my only need is the need of God realization. To know Thee aright is life eternal. To be in conscious union with God, to realize that Thou and I are one, God and I are one, not two, just one, here and now. Where I am, God is. All that God is, I am, God the Father, God the Son. Having God, I have infinity in any form and every form necessary to my unfoldment and I need not outline what that is. I need not tell God. I need not instruct God, I need not ask God. I must realize God's presence.
"Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty."
"In Thy Presence is fullness of life."
"Where is Thy Presence? Thou fillest all space, therefore this place whereon I stand is holy ground for Thou art here, and here where I am in Thy Presence is fullness of life."
"Thy Grace is my sufficiency in all things."
"Having Thee, I need naught beside."
"In Thy presence is fullness of life"
"Thy Grace is my sufficiency"
"Thy Grace is my sufficiency in all things."
"This threatening storm is not a thing. It is not a thing at all. It is an activity of the carnal mind, but the carnal mind has no law, being, substance or cause, and therefore, it is nothing but an image in thought and has no power. In your realization of this, it will dissolve."
"If you know the truth, the truth will make you free."
Living the Principles of Mysticism and Healing by Knowing the Truth II
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Closed Class Tape 3 Side 2)
You cannot believe for a moment, that if God were on the field that such things would be.
"If you abide in this word and let this word abide in you (let the Spirit of God abide in you), you will bear fruit richly. But if you do not abide in this word, that means consciously living in this word, if you do not acknowledge that I, God, am in the midst of thee, you will be as a branch of the tree that is cut off and withereth."
Error is nothing more or less than a universal hypnotism which comes out of an impersonal entity called "devil" or "carnal mind".
"Seeing through a glass darkly."
2. Now there are no words, and there are no thoughts.
"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside the still waters."
Spiritual Power - Mental Power I
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Closed Class Tape 4 Side 1)
I. Most of you know that any teaching has to be conducted in steps because there are states and stages of consciousness. We are prepared at one time for a teaching, and at another time for something further or deeper (and still further along in our experience we begin to get ready for some of the mysteries of life).
A. Ordinarily speaking, metaphysical teaching consists only of the veneer of the subject, of the very outside layer.
1. There is very little metaphysical teaching that goes any deeper than what I would call primary grades.
2. Most of it is in the realm of kindergarten, and some little of it is on the level of primary grades.
3. I do not know of any teaching available to the public that I can think of that goes any deeper than what might comparatively be called fourth or fifth grade schooling.
B. The reason is:
1. Spiritual truth is shocking. Spiritual truth can hardly be accepted at all by a human being until they have had sufficient light to lift them above that primary grade of receptivity.
2. This is likewise true of mental teachings. I do not know of any mental teachings that go any further than what would seem to me primary grade teaching
3. And for the same reason, if the truth were taught openly about the human mind, there would be far too many people hurting themselves by experiments for which they were not prepared.
4. And then there would also be too much use of mind power in wrong directions.
5. The truth about the Mind and Spirit does not reach the public because it would not be comprehended. (It is available, but it has to be found.)
6. And then it is not understood until the consciousness of the individual is prepared to receive it by proper spiritual study.
II. I have some questions here and I will answer this one first, but I am not yet quite certain that you will accept the answer. For that will depend on your own inner being and how far you have come.
A. Here is the first question:
1. How can spiritual harmony be established in the functioning of mechanical or electrical equipment? Is it possible to prevent mechanical or electronic parts from wearing out or becoming defective?
a. Just think how far your understanding will have to go for you to accept the fact that to a certain degree the answer is yes. It can be so.
b. You see how at first it seems absolutely improbable and impossible that the functioning of mechanical or electrical equipment is possible through these studies?
c. Actually it cannot be done spiritually, but it can be done mentally.
B. Many, many times students have written me of experiences of their automobile getting out of order in some serious way, yet their being able to go as far as a garage or the next stop, and then to be told that it was absolutely impossible for them to reach there, that the trouble was of such a nature that the car absolutely could not have been driven there, but it was.
C. This is not a matter of spiritual demonstration.
1. This is a proof that what we call matter is not matter at all.
2. It is mind.
a. It is mind in formation.
b. It is mind expressed.
III. Now remember this:
A. There are three states of consciousness.
1. The material sense.
2. The mental.
3. And the spiritual.
B. We do know that that which is called Spirit, or God, does function in the mental life and in the physical life.
1. In the days when there was only the subject of body as matter and remedies as matter, the world was living in that particular dimension (material dimension).
a. And living totally unaware of the fact that it was surrounded with a mental universe, a mental consciousness, a mental dimension.
b. All of that was ignored.
c. Everything was matter and materiality, material force and material power.
d. And here we were surrounded all of this time with a tremendous mental force.
2. From the 1800's up to this present time, though, we find that more and more is becoming known about the mental universe and its activity.
C. Unfortunately for this particular era, there is a gravely mistaken idea loose in the world that the mental realm and the spiritual realm are the same one.
1. It is absolutely untrue that the realm of God and the realm of mind is the same;
2. And the mistaken belief that it is, leads to quite disastrous results.
3. Mainly because as long as this belief persists, there will be teachings combining the spiritual and the mental.
a. Consequently, they will go nowhere.
b. Actually preventing progress because of their failure to teach proper attunement to God's Universe in meditations and failure to teach the correct spiritual principles of God's universe.
4. One of the tragedies that comes out of this is really the many years that are lost before those mistakes are corrected.
IV. Believe it or not, there are teachings circulating in the churches that would teach the people that mind power is God power.
A. A minister has recently written a book on his belief that prayer, if properly understood, can be destructive as well as constructive.
1. Now when I say to you that this is sad, that this is tragic;
2. You must understand why I say it.
B. The power of God is all good.
1. And no one can ever use the power of God for a selfish purpose, for a personal purpose, for a destructive purpose, for it cannot be done.
C. The nature of God is good.
1. The nature of God is love.
2. The nature of God is life eternal.
3. And no one on the face of the globe will ever be able to make use of spiritual powers for a selfish purpose or for a destructive purpose, without negative effects being reflected upon themselves.
D. God is a Universal God.
1. The same today, tomorrow and forever;
2. And in the sight of God there is neither Greek nor Jew, bond nor free.
E. Anyone who attempts by any manner of means to utilize the power of God for a personal, selfish or destructive purpose might just as well be touching a hot wire. They are on the way to self destruction.
F. God is no respecter of persons.
1. God's rain falls on the just and the unjust.
2. God's presence is the power of forgiveness to every phase of discord, whatever its name or nature.
G. Mind imbued with truth will produce harmony.
1. The same mind imbued with ignorance or error will produce an opposite effect.
2. This we learned centuries before modern civilization entered the picture.
H. The Aborigines of Australia are especially gifted in both healing and cursing.
1. They can heal and they can kill.
a. They know how to bring health to an individual.
b. And they know how to strike them dead.
2. With mental power though, certainly not by turning to God.
V. I had the pleasure and privilege of being taught by a teacher who taught me how to leave this body, and how to travel to any part of the globe that I wanted to be in.
A. For many years I enjoyed that experience practically every night wandering out into this world.
1. Not that it proved anything from a spiritual standpoint; it merely proved that the mind is not encased in a body.
a. To me that was only the step leading up to the realization that I am not in this body.
b. I am not in this room.
c. I do not occupy time or space.
d. I cannot be confined either in time or space.
e. I can transcend either, at anytime spiritually, but only because I learned first that the mind is not confined to this shell.
B. The mind can read other minds.
1. The mind can read minds close at hand and far apart.
2. The mind transcends itself often in wartime when mothers are almost living with their sons thousands of miles away on the battlefield.
3. Mothers over and over and over again know actually what is happening and when it is happening at the front, because in living in such identification with them, they transcend their own limitations of body and find themselves in far places.
C. The mind is not something separate and apart from body.
D. The mind is not something separate and apart from plants.
E. The mind actually is the very substance of body.
F. Mind is actually the essence and the activity of body.
1. It is for this reason (leaving God out of the picture entirely) that you can work on the purely mental level and produce healings and produce harmony.
2. Anyone who will stay away from trying to mix up Spirit and mind and remain purely on the mental level, can produce harmony in their bodies, in their business and in all of the affairs of their life as long (and this, of course, is the major requisite) as they maintain their integrity.
a. In other words, as long as they never try to use their mind power selfishly, injuriously, or to anyone else's discomfort.
b. As long as they remain pure of mind using this power only for the purpose of producing harmony, whether in themselves or others.
G. There is nothing selfish about producing harmony in oneself.
H. Harmony at someone else's expense or to use the power destructively is, of course, a sin against the Holy Ghost and it must result inevitably in harm to the one who does it.
1. It has been done.
2. People have used the power of their mind to get other people's money and other people's property and other people's business.
3. They have used the power of mind to benefit themselves at the expense of others.
4. It is a destructive thing.
5. Do not for a minute doubt that it can be done or you would be living with your head buried in the sand.
I. The mind has two powers and that is good and evil.
1. Do you not understand that this body in and of itself can never be good or bad?
2. Do you not know that your body cannot steal?
3. Do you not know that your body in and of itself cannot be immoral or do an immoral thing or commit an immoral act?
4. There has to be a mind.
5. There has to be something you call I.
a. All the body can do is carry out the instructions of the mind.
b. If the mind says "give," the hand gives.
c. If the mind says "withhold," then the hand withholds.
d. And if the mind says "steal," then the hand steals.
e. And so it is, the mind is always governing the body on the human level.
6. It is only the person too steeped in mental inertia who lets the body control the mind.
a. Then we have a kleptomaniac.
b. They cannot help it.
c. Their hand just reaches out and steals although the mind does not want it to.
d. The mind has no control over the body.
J. There are people of sensual appetites who cannot control their appetite whether for drink or for drugs or for food.
1. They have no control over their body.
2. Their body has control over them.
3. That is because they have surrendered the power of their own mind.
4. And they have let the body run away with it (as you might let a garden run away and be overcome with weeds if you are too lazy to get out there and take care of it).
5. Normally though, the body cannot steal, the body cannot over eat or over drink.
6. The body cannot do anything of itself if there is enough control so you know that:
a. "No, I govern the action of this body."
b. But remember, this is all on the mental plane.
VI. Because there is an interrelation between spirit, mind and body, in our stage of unfoldment we cannot reach the spiritual level without first going through the mind.
A. There are a few exceptions to that.
1. There have been some people who receive Divine Grace and automatically are imbued with the Spirit without ever having to learn the Truth of Being,
2. Sometimes without ever learning it in their lifetime and yet always living spiritually.
3. But there are not many such and it would be foolish for us to wait around to see if that particular spiritual lightning was going to strike us.
B. We may as well acknowledge this:
1. That for us, we will have to reach the spiritual levels through the mind:
a. But not using the mind as mind power (as you would do if you were going to heal just mentally);
b. But use the mind as an avenue of awareness through which you learn Truth, the letter of truth.
2. And then by that learning and practicing the letter of truth you develop your soul powers, your spiritual powers, and then ultimately get beyond the need for even the use of the mind in that direction.
C. Do not ever believe that you want to get rid of the mind.
1. Let us not get rid of the mind or the body.
2. Let us have both mind and body for their proper usage.
a. The body is an instrument through which we are now functioning.
b. Let us not try to get rid of it.
c. It is a wonderful thing to have a mind that functions clearly and intelligently.
VII. One thing that is taught in The Infinite Way is: Do not use the mind as a power.
A. If you do, you are leaving yourself back on the mental, physical plane without consideration for the highest and real plane which is the spiritual.
B. When you reach the spiritual plane, both mind and body are instruments for God.
1. Then there is no limit to the understanding and the inspiration in art, literature, music, inventions or science that can come through a mind that has made contact with God...No limitation whatsoever.
2. You cannot do that strictly on the mental plane. You cannot.
3. You can increase skill and ability, but only to the extent of the limitation of the mind itself.
C. Once you open yourself to the higher consciousness, there is absolutely no limit to what can be revealed in and through your mind, and then brought forth by the skill of your fingers or your body.
D. Actually I doubt that it could be demonstrated that you could maintain mechanical or electrical equipment very long through mental means.
1. Although I am absolutely convinced that it can be done throughout any period when it is of necessity to our experience.
2. In other words, if we run out of gasoline, I am definitely convinced that we can run that car until gasoline is available.
a. And so it is in the case of a breakage of a part or a device.
b. I am certain that our activity would, in some way, hold it together until we could arrive at the place where it could be corrected.
3. I know to the human mind this is impossible. (And it is for this reason that these things cannot be taught more openly than they are.)
E. The same is true that by mental means you can increase your crops and by mental means you can decrease them, but to bring forth a permanent demonstration of multiplication of the loaves and fishes, it would be necessary to go further than the operation of the mind.
1. It would be necessary to be touched by, or to reach, the realm of spirit.
a. Then there is no limitation,
b. But neither would there be a violation of natural laws.
2. In other words, you might double the amount of flowers on a plant, but it would not be in violation.
a. It would be because of something in nature itself, that is not now being used, would be brought into use.
b. In other words, the fullness of the life of this plant may not now be in action.
c. However, the activity of the Spirit would see to it that every seed came alive and bore fruit.
VIII. It must be frightening to you when you see an exhibition of hypnotism, to know that one man or woman can control the mind and body of as many people as are available.
A. That should be outlawed.
1. It should even be outlawed in medicine, regardless of what good it could accomplish.
2. The ill that it can accomplish far outweighs any good.
3. The practice of hypnotism should be outlawed because it is the activity of one mind controlling another. Wherein is your freedom?
4. To the world uninstructed in spiritual truth there is not even a protection, unless the law will give it to them. (Even the law cannot prevent individuals using their own mind any way they want.)
B. Actually there is a protection against mental powers, and that is the protection which you understand when you know that:
1. The carnal mind is not power;
2. And cannot rise above itself and accept the first commandment.--
"Thou shall have no other God, no other powers but the One"
3. And as you consciously (remember, "consciously") live in the realization of God as the only power, the One Power, (and that so called "human mind," "mortal mind," "carnal mind," "selfish mind," "mesmeric mind," "hypnotic mind," is not mind, is not God-ordained, is not God-sustained) you are protected, and you cannot be hypnotized consciously or unconsciously,
a. And you would never respond to an individual working on you with their mind.
IX. All mental power is not consciously evil, but that does not make it less harmful.
A. It is the fact that on the ordinary human level of life, we are subject to the mental atmosphere about us.
B. In the human picture then, a mental atmosphere is an important thing.
1. Maintaining oneself in a mental state of purity lets the person out here feel clean.
2. Maintaining oneself in a sense of mental impurity makes the person out here feel unclean and restless and uncomfortable.
3. In the same way, maintaining an integrity in life makes the people out here trust you.
4. Living in an atmosphere of dishonesty and deceit, you breed distrust out here.
5. That is all mental action and reaction, and, as I said, much of it is not conscious, but unconscious.
6. People do not realize the extent to which their mental state affects others.
X. This is all on the mental plane.
A. One of the major functions of the message of The Infinite Way is to teach you how to live so as to be unaffected by the mental atmospheres around you, by the mental pressures, the mental suggestions that are floating through the air all of the time about infections, contagions, dangers, wars and fears.
1. How to live above that is one of our major points.
2. It comes under the heading: "Man of earth and man of Christ. Man who has his being in Christ."
Spiritual Power-Mental Power II
(From 1959 Hawaiian Village Closed Class Tape 4 Side 2)
"Prayer should be understood not as a mere mechanical recitation of formulas, but as a mystical elevation, an absorption of consciousness in the contemplation of a principle, both permeating and transcending our world. Such a psychological state is not intellectual. It is incomprehensible to philosophers and scientists and inaccessible to them, but the simple seem to feel God as easily as the heat of the sun, or the kindness of a friend. The prayer which is followed by organic effect is of a special nature. First, it is entirely disinterested. (That is what I said before. That you cannot use prayer or God for selfish, personal or destructive things.) Man offers himself to God. He stands before Him like the canvas before the painter, or the marble before the sculptor. At the same time, he asks for his grace, exposes his needs, and those of his brother in suffering. Generally, the patient who is cured is not praying for himself, but for another. Such a type of prayer demands complete renunciation, that is, a higher form of asceticism. The modest, the ignorant and the poor are more capable of this self denial than the rich and the intellectual. When it possesses such characteristics, prayer may set in motion a strange phenomenon, the miracle."
"Doubtless, a great deal of doctrinal teaching of the time is a hindrance rather than a help to the spiritual life. It does not seem to me that anyone can talk to me dogmatically about God with any benefit. It is not an intellectual requirement to know God, but it comes to us with great purpose and movement of the universe (which is God's activity), and which we may study, and so, in